Social media is the driving force for everything from engagement to content these days. Every marketer is obsessed with keeping ahead of trends and carving out a piece of the market that can be exploited in the long term.
If you have been watching the growth of different networks, you know you have your pick of the litter. It all depends on your goals and what you produce. But do you know the more narrow and important statistics that will help inform your campaign?
Here are some must-read statistics that will be ridiculously helpful when it comes to social media marketing.
- Youtube is bigger than cable TV networks (Tweet this)
- Traffic to YouTube is global, with 80% of views from outside the US, spanning across 76 different countries (Tweet this)
- YouTube Spaces has now expanded to include video production space in Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Sao Paulo and Berlin. In these production suites independent creators have filmed more than 10,000 videos in the past year alone (Tweet this)
- More than 1 billion users visit YouTube (Tweet this)
- Facebook remains the largest and most active social network, with more than a billion daily active users, and 1.5 billion active monthly users (Tweet this)
- The average user spends 40 minutes or more per day on the social network (Tweet this)
- A full 91% of the millennial demographic use Facebook in some capacity, many actively (Tweet this)
- Canada is the country with the most active users on Facebook (Tweet this)
- Twitter reported 320 million monthly active users as of October 2015, with 100 million active daily users (Tweet this)
- Unlike many networks, Twitter users tend to be active at multiple points through the day, and 29% report checking their account multiple times a day (Tweet this)
- Teens are very active on Twitter, and 26% report it as their favorite social network (Tweet this)
- Millennials make up a decent proportion of users, at 29% of overall active membership (Tweet this)
- As of October 2015, LinkedIn had 400 million subscribers (Tweet this)
- Every second two new people sign up for a LinkedIn account, making its growth steady and impressive (Tweet this)
- Unlike some websites that claim a heavy membership but a large chunk of it is inactive, LinkedIn gets 100 million unique visits per month (Tweet this)
- Approximately 13% of millennials use LinkedIn for professional connections (Tweet this)
- Pinterest has grown to 100 million active users (Tweet this)
- The majority of users are still women at 85%, though the number of men who use the site is increasing (Tweet this)
- As of September 2015, the number of users outside the US has reached 45%, higher than at any other point since Pinterest launch (Tweet this)
- A full 66% of Pinterest users save things that they describe as “inspiring“, making Pinterest the most inspirational of the social networks (Tweet this)
- More than 75 million users use Instagram every day, and 400 million use it every month (Tweet this)
- An impressive 27.5% of the entire US population has claimed to have used Instagram in the year 2015 (Tweet this)
- A fairly even split between male and female users exist on Instagram, with 51% being male, and 49% being female (Tweet this)
- Almost all Instagram users are under the age of 35, making it a social network that appeals almost entirely to millennials (Tweet this)
- Since its launch in 2005, Reddit has become the dominant social network for content sharing and individual communities, with 360 million user accounts (Tweet this)
- The average Reddit user will have several accounts, including what they call “throwaways“. These are accounts used specifically for a post or community, and then abandoned. Some alternative accounts will remain active (Tweet this)
- There are more than 850,000 subreddits on the site, with more being created every day. Tens of thousands of those subreddits are active (Tweet this)
- In 2015, Reddit saw more than 73 million submissions, and 725 million comments (Tweet this)
What These Statistics Tell Us
For one thing, that the gap between networks in many ways is widening. Yes, Facebook and Youtube still hold the lion’s share of activity. But the other networks are really neck in neck, maintaining active user bases within similar demographics.
Pinterest is seeing an increasing number of global users joining and using the site. Instagram is even keeled between genders, and has an overall young demographic. Twitter is much less popular than Facebook, and yet has an impressive multi-day return rate.
Reddit is a community focused site with a dedicated user base that comes back again and again to participate through direct engagement. LinkedIn remains a top choice for professionals, especially those already in higher positions that want to connect with other industry leaders.
Social Media Is Hotter Than Ever
It seems like such a trite thing to say, that social media is still popular. It is more than just popular, it is a growing part of our daily lives. How many of you reading this go on a social network right in the morning? It has become the new newspaper and coffee routine!
What social media stats do you know? Let us know in the comments!
Social media sites best way to internet marketing, social media very popular sites., thanks for article.
Interesting article. I like how you made everything tweet-able. Great idea. You must be getting some serious social traction. I’m going to give it a shot. Thanks Ninjas.
Nice Post!!! I think youtube will stay dominative in future as well, people are looking for more video content to learn.
I would be ecstatic that YouTube is bigger than cable television now, if it weren’t for their COMPLETELY broken copyright system. The bigger they get, the less incentive they’ll have to ever fix it. I haven’t seen them even publicly address the problem, let alone take even a single step to fix it. It’s a sad situation.
Nothing is forever especially the market trends. Individuals who keep on changing and follow the new trend can survive in this competitive world.
Internet is looked upon by most of the business owners as they can reach potential customers present all around the world.
Social media marketing is a very efficient way of getting a lot of web traffic.
Interesting that Canada has the most Facebook users, especially when the population is so low in comparison to the United States! Found that one surprising.
Comments are closed.