I wrote the following in the Albany airport…I’ve got another 2 posts that I wrote in Newark…but I’ll save those for later….I just arrived in London, and I’m on my way out to see sights and perhaps a SEO or 2…or more.
I should also mention that I’m totally amazed at my last post asking people where they are from….I just think it’s sooo cool that people from around the world are actually reading what I’m writing! Thanks!
Building Backlinks the “Natural Way”. I was honestly amazed at the latest poll on “Do you buy text advertising”. So far in that poll almost half of you voted that “You never buy text ads”….quite surprising in that my blog heavily speaks on “link building”….and a large part of my published methods involve, in the end, giving people money or product in exchange for a “link advertisements”.
If you’re not purchasing ads then I gotta figure that you’re doing one of the following:
- Trading Links (97% of the time I see this done “wrong”)
- Three way linking….um 90% of this I see is done wrong (creating easily identifiable neighborhoods…and most of that time it’s with other SEO’d sites…and not the “real” neighborhood you want)
- Buying Links (under the radar?)
- Purchasing advertising cleverly.
If you’re “getting backlinks” but not using any of the methods above, then I gotta figure that you’re getting your backlinks “Naturally”. What is “Natural backlinks” you ask?
It’s mostly links you didn’t have to ask for….other webpage publishers just linked to your site “naturally” without you ever asking them to. Most of these are really the best backlinks to have. Many of these are links within content on related webpages and have good co-citation.
As SEO’s we often talk of and focus on just “link building” in a proactive sense…..Great SEO is also the art of creating something that is so good that it naturally attacks backlinks. If you’re an SEO, don’t forget that you should be looking at the art of the “bait” in linkbaiting. – the hero in our own time and industry on this is Rand Fishkin.
Here are some common bait techniques:
- Creating content that is so good, that it gets referenced on many websites.
- Creating a “portal/forum” for the industry.
- Creating “Tools” for the industry.
- Creating, or propagating, “news” of the industry.
- Researching and publishing articles within the industry.
- Creating something that no one, or few, have within your industry.
What other methods can you think of?
What methods have you used to attract natural backlinks?