Needless to say, your social media profile picture is crucial for your marketing success: it brands your business, makes people remember you by and, in most cases, determines if your profile is worth a follow (especially on Twitter).
Now, if you have not yet given a serious thought as to how good your current social media avatar is, do it now. I hope this article will work both as motivation and as an ultimate resource.
QUICK GUIDE: Change Avatar: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google +
A bit more explained:
- Go to your profile page (facebook.com/username);
- Hover over your current profile picture;
- Click “Change Picture”:
- Select Settings from the drop down menu (top-right corner);
- Click on Profile (the fifth tab in the settings navigation bar);
- Click the Browse button next to your profile image.
- Click on your profile picture thumbnail icon in the top-right corner;
- Click “Profile”
- Click “Edit Profile” next to your name;
- Click “Change Photo” under your photo:
- Hover over on “Profile” in the main navigation menu;
- Choose “Edit Profile” (first option);
- Click “Edit photo” right below your current profile picture:
Image Requirements: Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus
<a href="http://www.internetmarketingninjas.com/blog/social-media/social-media-profile-picture-cheatsheet/"><img src="http://www.internetmarketingninjas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/change-avatar.jpg?0d0715" width="600" height="1678" alt="Change social media profile cheatsheet" /></a>
Now, to make sure you pick the *best* profile picture possible, do read all of the resources below. They are all great!
- Facebook Cheat Sheet: Sizes and Dimensions: A regularly updated post explaining all Facebook limits (maximum dimensions of timeline pictures, thumbnail sizes, etc).
- Taking a Great Facebook Profile Picture: A very detailed guide on how to take a Facebook-friendly portrait photo.
- The 30 Standard Facebook Profile Photo Styles: This one is quite old but still works great for inspiration! See how you can hack your profile photo to stand out!
Smile! Interesting finds about the choice of your Facebook profile photo: What Your Facebook Profile Photo Says About You and How your Facebook profile picture predicts future happiness
men and women who flashed “intense” smiles in their first-semester Facebook profile photos reported greater life satisfaction than those who didn’t. More importantly, those same students were likelier to report high levels of contentedness during their last semester of college, fully 3 1/2 years later.
- How to Create a Twitter Avatar You Can be Proud Of: A very detailed post with great examples: use unique elements and make sure you have very few of them for the avatar to be clear even in a 48×48 thumbnail
- Here are a few great examples of a great photo portraits that make captivating twitter profile pictures.
- How to Make Your Google Plus Profile Image Rotate on Click: An interesting and absolutely legit (and easy) way to make your profile photo rotate by placing several photos in your Google Plus Profile Photos Album.
- Taking a Good Linkedin Profile Picture: With the Linkedin Groups gaining more and more popularity, your profile picture has become even more important than it ever was.
- LinkedIn Photo Advice : The Why, What and What Happened?: Don’t forget LinkedIn Profile Pic policy: “…if your photo is not an image of yourself or does not contain an actual photograph, it is considered inappropriate”