Many businesses have joined Facebook under their business name instead of the business owner’s name. For example: John Doe set up a “personal profile” or “timeline” as John’s Coffee Shop. It seems logical, but taking this route is not your best option.
There are a number of dis advantages to this, the biggest of which is it is against the Facebook Terms of Service. In addition, personal profiles are not public and in some cases not searchable. You run the risk of not being found or even worse, having your account shut down. It’s OK though it’s not too late to fix it.
Transferring your personal profile to a business page is fairly easy, but here’s a checklist of things you need to do first:
- Create a personal profile under your real name
- Add another admin to any page or group you administer, you will lose those rights when you switch over.
- Download a copy of your Facebook data to your local computer. Your friends and subscribers will be converted into likes and your profile photos will be moved to the new page, but all other data will be lost, so back it up.
- Click the account menu at the top right of any Facebook page
- Choose Account Settings
- Click on “Download a copy” of your Facebook data
- Click the Download button on the following page
Once all of your data has been backed up and you have ensured your groups and pages have admin access, click this link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php?migrate
The process is a tad clunky, but it’s doable and in the end it in your best experience for the long term.
Have you tried this yet? What was your experience?